Friday, January 16, 2009

ByPass Surgery

My mom and Terry were supposed to be able to join the family in Alabama for the holidays. Unfortunately Terry's heart had other plans for them. The day before his flight out of Texas, he was trotting around at the river bottom and began to have chest pains. He checked his blood pressure and it was Sky High! Like, 202 / 178 or something like that....Too High!

Luckily the River Bottoms aren't completely filled with frog-giggin' rednecks.




There is a neighbor that is a nurse. Terry made the call and told her that he thought he was having a "Panic Attack"...Yeah Right! He thought his blood pressure machine could have been messed up....WRONG! Off to the hospital they went and the news only got worse.

When they arrived at the hospital, many tests were ran. I soon found out the news from my mom via text message... Don't you just love texting........ Once I finally got my mom on the phone, I got more details and the number to the room. I talked to Terry and all he said was " I won't be on a plane tomorrow." Well, duh! I was only concerned about his health and anxiously awaited the results from the tests being ran the next day. My mom took the Red Eye out of GA and into TX. She arrived at the hospital to find out that he was going to have bypass surgery ASAP. Quadruple Bypass Surgery, that is.

My mom was a wreck. Her husband was on the verge of death and low and behold they lost her makeup bag at the airport. For those of you who know my mom, this was a TRAGEDY! Jason and I proceeded to AL to carry on with our plans for Christmas with the family. I must admit, it was not the same without them, but we have their presents so we can have Christmas in February if need be.

Terry was in Intensive Care for days and days. At one point the thought they were going to have to put the breathing tube back in, deflate his lung and repair the lymphnode they had punctured during the surgery....Great..... Apparantly Terry's anatomy inside is a bit different then the average human's....We always knew he was special! Luckily that procedure did not take place. My mom finally got some makeup from her friend so she could "have her face on" while she was at the hospital. So things seemed to be looking up for the both of them.Once Terry could finally talk he gave me some extensive details on his cuts and bruises. OUCH!

The plans were for my mom and Terry to attend my "Embracing Thirty" party in AL but of course duty called in TX with Terry and his health. I made sure I dedicated a song to him and my mom. We will have another bday party when he can function correctly again. New Year's Eve was spent in the hospital as well. Luke and David went to see Terry and as they entered the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital, they blasted him with Silly String........I'm sure the nurses were proud. No word on if they got in trouble or not but they did get together for a group picture. Not real sure if Terry even knew what was going on. Looked like there was noone home after that shot of Morphine.......



After recovery time in the hospital was over, mom took Terry home. Poor thing has to do what she says because he can't defend himself for awhile. I make regular calls to check in and make sure she is treating him right. He feels much better and says she is not being too mean... :) Mom spent $500 to replace her face and potions.


I think some of that was just pure retail therapy because she misses her little Nelson. She and that dog have a very un-natural relationship. She says he is just a baby. Trust me, that is a brand new blog. I'm not planning on going there......

Anyway....Good News! Mom got the call today saying the airline had found her makeup. It is in Atlanta. Sounds like to me she won't need makeup for a while.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little Girl, you are toooo funny! No doubt the holidays were unusual and the only thing that "traveled" was my makeup bag!! It has already beaten me home to Atlanta! We will definitely have another Christmas/Birthday celebration as soon as Poppa T is getting around! Love you bunches! Momma

Anonymous said...

Well, Jamie and Momma, I too have spent several hundred dollars at once at the makeup counter and it made me feel soooooo gooooodd!!!!!
LOL..a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do..right Beck??

So glad Terry is better.
love..Aunt B